10.15.2002

Homecoming II

Went back to SCS for the first time in 4 months. No changes there, except the tuition fee from last year has gone to the recarpeting of the entire school in a lovely pattern of blue, green and pink geometric shapes (obviously to encourage learning in half-conscious students staring blankly into air after getting up at 5.50 am to get to school on time).

Strange to see everyone again, this time all poised and mature (ha!) university students. Pleh. I don't mean to sound cynical, but half the people there wouldn't have cared if I hadn't shown up. I spent five years with these people, many of whom I got along with just fine, some of whom are now my best friends, but there was always a small minority who could never be bothered to be civil to anyone outside their social sphere. Well, they were civil, but behind that thin mask of "niceness" was a giggling mass of insincerity. There was one girl who was two lockers away from me for four years (blame the alphabet) who never once bothered to talk to me, not even when I greeted her.

Oh well. I know some of my friends who truly hated their time in high school, but I can't say that. Overall, I really miss it: having friends around you whenever you need them, being in an environment where I felt comfortable in, having teachers who care if you're doing poorly in class... But there were just some days where I felt like dust, lint, thin air, etc. because someone decided that either I wasn't worth talking to.

ANYWAY. No more bitter commentary from Hoyan today. After getting our yearbooks, Ming, Dri and I went shopping (mittens, Jenny's Place) at Fairview. That pair. They make me laugh. :) Jen came back later, so we went to the Eaton Centre (and Gen's new res) to catch up on old times. Kinda. Signed yearbooks, bought a bag, etc. I miss you guys! Why did we all have to go to different universities? Mac, Waterloo, U of T, York and Queen's! And then Mike and Ainslie are both in the U.S.

Oh, no, nostalgia settling in...

No comments: