Olympic Fever
Every time this thing happens I get overly excited and can't wait for it to start. Even though I couldn't actually be more remote from the whole event (not even in Europe, don't ski, don't skate, don't wear skintight jumpsuits or sequined bits of flesh-coloured polyester), I'm eagerly anticipating the opening cermonies in Turin. Partly because I like the spectacle, partly to see what Team Canada is wearing, and partly because it's quite thrilling to see the international (sporting) community in a peaceful setting. One could argue that it's overly sentimental and expensive and look at Munich and Atlanta and can't you see that the whole world is shot to hell so it's all a sham...but I can't help but feel warm and fuzzy when the Olympic flame is lit. And it can't hurt to hope. So here's to a harmonious and amicable Winter Games.
Except in hockey, of course. And curling. Go and show the world what a poutine-laced diet and steady intake of maple-sugar candy can do!Another issue is the gendering of the Turin mascots, Neve and Gliz. Why is Gliz so stocky? Why is Neve so curvy? Are they a couple? Is Gliz really such a blockhead? Gliz has the perfect build for a hockey player, but with such bulbous limbs and high centre of gravity, Neve would be virtually useless at any sport. And what will we do about their dental problems?
2.08.2006
at
11:16 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Perhaps they are the young of their species and haven't finished growing yet.
perhaps they are actually evil counter-terrorism operatives with enough spy equipment in their enormous heads to spot a bomb halfway across the city.
Unfortunately for their creators, the spy equipment is prone to malfunctions so the organizers will constantly have to stop parades/cermonies/kiddy-sessions to crack open their skulls and perform repairs. Also, they tend to spot cheese, not bombs.
is it me or does Neve's head look like a massive tooth and Glitz's head look like a massive marshmellow?
Mmmm marshmellows....
I suppose in an Italian city, a bad cheese IS like a terrorist attack...
I found out that they're "supposed to" be snowflakes.
Of the alien anti-terrorist variety, I guess.
Post a Comment