5.29.2008

You have GOT to be kidding me

Just got an email from Queen's Alumni. Am screaming in my head at missing this & at the (Alanis style) irony of the situation:


Alexander McCall Smith Lecture and Book Signing

Honorary degree recipient Dr. Alexander McCall Smith will deliver a public lecture and sign books following Convocation on behalf of the Kingston Grandmother's Connection, a Kingston-based fundraising organization in support of African grandmothers raising their grandchildren who have been orphaned by HIV/AIDS.

Alexander McCall Smith is best known for The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, set in Botswana, which has risen to the top of bestseller lists throughout the world. The fifth novel in the series, The Full Cupboard of Life, received the UK Saga Award for Wit. He is also the author of The Sunday Philosophy Club series. He has written more than 60 books, including specialist academic titles, short-story collections, and children's books.

Date: Thursday, June 5th at 5:30pm
Location: Chernoff Hall, 90 Bader Lane

I'm leaving for my trip tonight; a few days later, my favourite author will be lecturing & signing books at my alma mater, and I will be visiting his hometown of Edinburgh. The most interesting visitors to Queen's in my memory have been the Antiques Roadshow and Rick Mercer (okay, he's pretty interesting). But Alexander McCall Smith! I would have gone to Kingston for that one evening to attend that lecture. Argggggggh! Why why why why why?

I will drown my bitterness in crappy airline food and cheap red wine.

No comments: